Itâ€™s adorable to see kids peek through TP and paper towel tubes as if they were on a treasure hunt.Â Well, we are going to take those tubes and kick them up a notch by making a retractable telescope.
Supplies youâ€™ll need:
- Paper towel tube
- Toilet paper tube
- Craft knife
- Brads, 4 (Example)
- 1/8â€ hole punch
- Paint or markers
- Cut the paper towel tube so that one piece is 5â€ long. Â The other piece will be about 6â€. Â To help make this tutorial not so lengthy weâ€™ll code our tubes as following: A= Inner 6â€ tube, B= Middle 5â€ tube, and C= Outer TP tube (left uncut).
- To get the tubes to nest in each other, cut a vertical strip off of A that is Â¾â€ wide.Â Do the same for B with a 3/8â€ wide strip. Â Â Use tape to close the tubes back up.
- Cut two narrow triangles, 1â€ tall, on one end of A.Â Make sure the triangles are on opposite sides of the tube. Â Â This is to give some extra room for the brads.
- Prepare the â€œrailsâ€ on B and C by placing B inside of C then punch a hole an inch in from the edge where the two tubes meet.Â Punch another hole on the opposite side.Â Remove B from C.
- Mark a straight line from Câ€™s holes to the top edge.Â Punch a hole on each line at the top.Â C should have 4 holes punched into them.Â Cut a 1/8â€ wide strip in between the top and bottom holes.Â (Cutting a straight line with a craft knife first makes this easier.)Â Repeat on the opposite side.
- Â Place A into B and repeat steps 4 and 5 (this time B is A and C is B).Â Make sure the holes you make are about an inch away from the holes made in steps 4 and 5.Â By now, tube A should have 2 holes, B will have 2 holes and 2 rails, and C has just 2 rails.
- Now itâ€™s time to decorate.Â Color your telescope and allow it to dry before assembling.
- To assemble, place A in B.Â Line the holes in A with the rails of B and place a metal brad in each.Â When flattening your brad, make sure to flatten the tabs horizontally.Â Placing a piece of tape on just one of the tabs to the inside of the tube helps keep it horizontal and loose enough to slide.Â Slide tube A up half way and place B in C, lining up the holes of B with the C rails. Â Add your brads and then youâ€™re done.
Are your kiddos impressed?Â We smell a treasure hunt in your near future!